Hayden Flour Mill attracted the town that became Tempe and gave Mill Avenue its name. Freighter and merchant Charles Hayden built the original mill in 1874. Farmers needed the mill to grind their grain into flour. The mill burned twice and replaced by the present structure in 1918.
While the earlier mills were water-powered, this mill was converted to electricity by 1928. The grain silos were added in 1951. A 2002 fire destroyed the mill’s additions. Plans are to develop the mill and it’s surroundings into shops, restaurants, offices and homes.
Want to see Hayden Flour Mill for yourself? Tap the map ↓