BEST OF ARIZONA
Mooney Falls in Grand Canyon
Check out these resources for help getting the most out of your Arizona adventures.
BOOKS, MAPS & GUIDES
Arizona Bucket List Adventure Guide & Journal takes you on a quest to discover 50 must-see natural wonders in the Grand Canyon State.
Great books to help you plan your Arizona adventures
- 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Phoenix
- Arizona Bucket List Adventure Guide & Journal
- Arizona’s Scenic Roads and Hikes: Unforgettable Journeys in the Grand Canyon State
- Arizona State Parks: A Guide to Amazing Places in the Grand Canyon State
- Best Day Hikes on the Arizona National Scenic Trail
- Kayaking the Salt River
Like maps? Here ya go.
I plotted these awesome places on this map for easy reference:
Best websites for Arizona explorers
- Arizona Trail Association
- Arizona Game & Fish
- Hike Arizona
- Horseshoe Bend
- On The Road Arizona
- Visit Arizona
- Visit Sedona
Must-have smartphone apps
- Alltrails helps you find cool hiking trails near you, with pics and descriptions from other hikers.
- Airbnb puts you in touch with lodging spaces offered by private owners in places where traditional hotel options may not exist. Plus, you can find cool experiences hosted by local guides.
- Campendium helps you preview places to camp and get valuable insights before you go.
- Relive is a cool app to track and share your outdoor activities through the magic of overlaying your pics and video onto a 3-D map.
- The National Parks Service app for Android and iPhone can help plan your visits to any of the 20 spectacular parks, monuments and historic sites in Arizona managed by the agency.
- Grand Canyon National Park app helps you make the most of your time there.
- Worldwide Elevation Finder is a website that functions like a mobile app. Enter a place you want to go and it’ll tell you the elevation and show you a cool topo map. See Sedona for example.
- At recreation.gov you can search and reserve campsites in hundreds of campgrounds around the state managed by federal agencies.
- Go to campendium.com to find campsites and see reviews & pics by others who’ve stayed there.
- On BLM.gov you can get information about camping off-grid (boondocking) on thousands of acres of Arizona land controlled by the Bureau of Land Management.
- AZ Wonders Hiking Guide provides you with tips to prepare for the Arizona climate and landscape, plus trail recommendations categorized into five state regions.
- Check out hikearizona.com for hike reviews with maps, photos and trip logs.
AZ Wonders Kayaking Guide points you to the best spots to paddle in the Grand Canyon State.
Where to rent kayaks:
- Redline Rentals (Mesa & East Valley)
- Tempe Town Lake
- Prescott Outdoors (Watson Lake)
- Antelope Point Marina (Lake Powell)
- Marble Canyon – Horseshoe Bend (Colorado River)
- Willow Beach Marina – Emerald Cove (Colorado River)
Water levels and flow:
- Arizona clickable streamflow map
- Lake Powell water level (5-year graph)
- Find out about planned group kayaking outings in these Facebook Groups: Arizona Kayaking | Lower Salt River Kayakers | Verde Valley Kayakers Club |
PARKS & MONUMENTS
- Click on nps.gov for information about all national parks, monuments and historical sites in Arizona managed by the National Parks Service.
Related: An Essential Guide To Enjoying National Parks Responsibly
- azstateparks.com and AZ State Parks podcast is where you’ll find all the information you need to hike, camp, fish, bike, whatever in one of Arizona’s 34 spectacular parks, historic sites and natural areas.
- Check out maricopacountyparks.net for ideas on outdoor getaways in mountainous desert areas surrounding Phoenix.
- Go to phoenix.gov to find the perfect trail for you in one of the amazing desert parks and mountain preserves right in the city.
Get permits for Arizona hot spots
Where to ski in Arizona
- Arizona Snowbowl (near Flagstaff)
- Sunrise Ski Resort (near Pinetop-Lakeside)
- Mt. Lemmon Ski Area (near Tucson)
- Elk Ridge Ski Area (near Williams)
Recent posts on AZ Wonders blog:
- Explore the landscape at Fountain Hills Desert Sonoran Botanical Garden and expand your knowledge of Arizona plants and geology
- One-day itinerary to get the most out of your Grand Canyon experience on a budget
- Fountain Hills Lake Overlook Trail leads you through a beautiful desert landscape to this world-famous fountain
- Escape the heat: Discover the coolest places to visit in Arizona this summer
- Early March storm leaves a blanket of snow on the Sonoran Desert of Arizona
Want the inside scoop on more amazing places like this? Grab a copy of Arizona Bucket List Adventure Guide.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
About the author
In 2014, Paul Fiarkoski went on a hiking trip to world-famous Havasupai Falls in the Grand Canyon. After three days of hiking and wading in the turquoise pools beneath 100-foot waterfalls, his perspective of Arizona changed forever. He created an Arizona bucket list and began checking places off.
Arizona Bucket List Adventure Guide & Journal includes his list of top 50 natural wonders.