Beginning in 2017, the U.S. Forest Service requires a permit to enter the section of Arizona’s Fossil Creek that has been designated as a Wild and Scenic River. That’s the section most people want to visit.
Details about Fossil Creek permits:
- Required April 1 through October 1 only
- Cost is $10 (subject to change)
- Provides access one parking spot in a specific lot (there are 9 lots)
- Available online only at recreation.gov
- Permits go on sale on the first of each month for the following month
- Only one permit may be reserved per person per calendar month
The entrance gate is only open between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Once inside the gate, you can depart as late as 8 p.m.
A permit is not required to visit Fossil Creek between October 2 and March 31.
For more details, visit recreation.gov.