If you’re in Phoenix for just a short time and need a quick fix of nature on one of the city’s legendary hiking trails, we have just the thing for you. Head to the 24th Street Trailhead in South Mountain Park and hike Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley.
There are hundreds of trails in the Phoenix area worthy of more hiking, but none offer you the experience of this hike in such a short span of time.
Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley quick facts:
- 3.4 miles (5.5 km) total distance of trail loop (out and back)
- 918 feet (280 m) elevation gain; most of it in the first mile
- Moderate level of difficulty
- Requires only 2 to 3 hours to complete the entire loop
- 4.5 star rating (out of 5) on alltrails.com star rating: (over 500 reviews)
- No pass or permit required
- Located just 6.7 miles (10.8 km) from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport
Get a taste of the Mormon Trail – Hidden Valley – Fat Man’s Pass Loop in this video:
- Hike through a naturally formed tunnel.
- See spectacular views of the desert and the Valley of the Sun, including downtown Phoenix.
- Get a glimpse into the lifestyle of the ancestral people who once hunted the South Mountain Park area.
- Discover unexplained designs on rocks.
- Learn about the types of plants in this area and their secret to survival.
- See if I can fit through Fat Man’s Pass – a tiny slit between two massive rocks
BONUS FOOTAGE: Watch the desert transform before your eyes as a light rain shower turns into driving rain, followed by creeks and waterfalls.
Shortest and quickest way to Hidden Valley and Fat Man’s Pass
- Access Mormon Trail from the 24th Street Trailhead.
- Hike up Mormon Trail approximately 1.5 miles until you see a sign pointing to Hidden Valley tunnel
- Follow the signs to Hidden Valley
- Once in Hidden Valley, follow wash (dry creekbed) “upstream” to Fat Man’s Pass
- Just beyond Fat Man’s Pass you’ll see National Trail. Take a right on it back to Mormon Trail, then left back to the parking lot.
About South Mountain Park
South Mountain Park is the largest city-managed park in the country. It encompasses roughly 17,000 acres. By comparison, Vail Resort is the largest ski resort in the U.S. at 5,300 acres.
National Trail is the longest trail in the park and measures 14 miles in length (one way).
There are numerous trailheads (or access points) to South Mountain Park. Hidden Valley can be reached by starting at either the 24th Street or Pima Canyon trailheads.
Hidden Valley loop is an exhilarating hike on well-marked trails that lead you through a cool tunnel, over dry waterfalls, and between the challenging squeeze (if you choose) of Fat Man’s pass. Depending on your hiking pace, you’ll only need two to three hours to complete this hike.
If you have more time on your hands, there are several other trails to explore from the point where Mormon Trail intersects with the Hidden Valley loop. Just be careful to keep track of your path so you can find your way back to where you started.
Ready to check it out on your own? Tap the map↓